CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cow-free Milk


I was browsing through the new ,Women's Health Magazine, on the train, when I came across an interesting article about cow-free milk. It instantly peaked my interest because I use vanilla soy milk in place of cow milk when I can. I usually have 2 cartons of vanilla soy and one pint of organic or non-fat cow milk in the fridge. I keep the cow milk, for instances, when I absolutely can not use vanilla soy, like when I make mashed potatoes. Vanilla soy mashed potatoes? No thanks! I was never a huge fan of cow milk, so I felt like vanilla soy was created just for me. I tried using the plain soy milk, but it was to no avail. Women's Health "schooled" me on some much-needed information on cow-free milk. I think it's time to move on to Almond milk.

Almond Milk

Almond Breeze Original Per cup: 60 cal, 2.5 g fat ( o g sat), 8 g carbs ( 7 g sugars ), 150 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein
TASTE: Creamy, rich, and slightly nutty with a hint of sweetness.
PROS: Has the lease calories out of the other cow-free milk products, it's loaded with vitamin E , which fights UV damage, it also has calcium and vitamins A and D.
CONS: Does not have enough fiber and proteins. Also, higher in sodium.
BEST IN: Smoothies, coffee, and cereal

Hemp Milk
Tempt Original Per cup: 100 cal, 6 g fat ( 0.5 g sat ), 9 g carbs ( 6 g sugars ), 110 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 2 g protein
TASTE: Nutty and earthy
PROS: Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids-wonder nutrients for your heart, brain, and mood. Made with cannabis seeds, but it won't get you high, because it does not contain significant THC.
CONS: Depending on the brand, you will only take in 10% of your daily calcium needs. Hemp milk is also not a great source for protein.
BEST IN: Mashed potatoes, muffins and quick breads. Good for baked goods.

Coconut Milk
So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage Original Per cup: 80 cal, 5 g fat ( 5 g sat ), 7 g carbs, ( 6 g sugars ), 15 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein
TASTE: Thick, creamy, coconut-y
PROS: It has the least amount of sodium and can be low cal. Most brands are fortified with half a day's worth of vitamin B12 , a brain boosting nutrient.
CONS:  The majority of the fat is saturated
BEST IN: Coffee, tea, pudding, smoothies, and oatmeal

Rice Milk
Rice Dream Enriched Original Per cup: 120 cal, 2.5 g fat ( 0 g sat ), 23 g carbs, ( 10 g sugars ), 100 mg sodium, 0 g fiber, 1 protein
TASTE: Light, watery and sweet
PROS: The carbs. Good source of electrolytes.
CONS: The carbs. If you're trying to lose weight, it's best to eat whole-grain carbs.
BEST IN: Desserts, baked goods, pancakes, and french toast. 

Soy Milk
Silk Original Per cup: 100 cal, 4 g fat ( 0.5 g sat ), 8 g carbs, ( 6 g sugars ), 120 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein
TASTE: Faintly sweet. Some have a tofu flavor.
PROS: It has almost as much protein as cow's milk, plus plant chemicals that may hep inhibit absorption of cholesterol. Also, according to me it has an extensive shelf-life.
CONS: Some studies suggest that overconsuming soy promotes breast cancer. 25 grams of soy protein a day is ideal.
BEST IN: Creamy soups and salad dressings, sauces, casseroles and other savory dishes. Vanilla-flavored are great by the glass or in coffee, or tea. Also, according to me it is great in cereal, cupcakes and anything that you won't mind a slight vanilla flavor in.

Q: What are your thoughts on cow-free milk? 


Source: Women's Health Magazine
Check out the article in the magazine for further details.
By Celeste 


2 comments:

Bryan

I'm a huge fan of "Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk." Only 35 calories per cup and I sweeten it with Stevia. I've been experimenting with it in my ice cream maker for a guilt-free, low glycemic treat.

The Picky Eater

Sounds delicious! Silk has less calories than the Breeze brand? Great! I have to try it. Thanks for the information and quick recipe Bryan ;)

Post a Comment